In 1950, Carlos Tavares and Lou Burgener developed what became San Diego’s largest post-war subdivision. Originally dubbed, “The Village Within a City”, people started living in Clairemont in May, 1951. Within a few years, several thousand houses had been constructed, including single family homes, duplexes and apartments. The 1950s and early 1960s added many new shopping centers and access roads to crisscross the area. Many of the original shopping centers have been redeveloped.
Tecolote Canyon Golf Course is in the bottom of the southern canyon area. There are streams and trails that extend into finger canyons in the area.